Microdoglegs are a natural effect of any vertical or directional well that can explain a wide variety of downhole problems. A trajectory-prediction model able to calculate the inclination and azimuth approximately every 12 in. has been developed to estimate microdoglegs using standard surveys, bottomhole-assembly (BHA) data, and steering parameters. This new methodology combining downhole data measurements with drillstring-modeling analysis highlights the potential for drilling optimization and wellbore placement.
Following the downturn, the number of horizontal wells drilled this year has fallen dramatically compared with previous historic levels. In these difficult times, attention to cost reduction through relentless optimization of all segments, from drilling to completions, has never been so important.
This article presents the key findings regarding the benefits of drilling using aluminum drill pipes in a mixed aluminum-steel string compared to a string using only steel pipes in horizontal wells.
Focus on Drilling Technology by Stéphane Menand Director of DrillScan US.
- DrillScan will be at the SPE/IADC International Conference & Exhibition – 5-7 March 2019, The Hague (Netherlands)19 February 2019 - 17 h 52 min
- DrillScan at the ONS Exhibition & Conference27-30 August 2017, Stavanger (Norway)21 July 2018 - 14 h 10 min
- What To Do When RSS Is Not An Option Due To Tight Budget13 July 2018 - 8 h 38 min
- SPE188861 : Wellbore Trajectory Quality Management : A key Approach to Safe Casing & Completion Strings Deployment in Complex Wells
- SPE188865 : Using Aluminium Drill Pipe with Axial Oscillation Tools to Significantly Improve Drilling Performance
- AADE paper : Use of Mechanical Specific Energy Calculation in Real-Time to Better Detect Vibrations and Bit Wear While Drilling